With the news that the two latest Avengers efforts will be made into 3D films AFTER they’ve been shot (ala Clash of the Titans), I have to wonder if “colourization” debate going to be re-ignited for 3D TV. Of course I have little doubt George Lucas will be releasing the original Star Wars trilogy in 3D and Smell-o-vision within the next five years, I’m wondering how far off we are from some of the older classics being post-processed through the 3D filter.
The following is a tongue-in-cheek consideration of some classic films that should have 3D added value and why:
1) The Wizard of Oz – Two words… flying monkeys.
2) Elephant Man – Truly appreciate John Merrick’s deformities.
3) The Godfather – Somehow freaky orange-peel-mouth Brando could be entertaining.
4) 2001 – you even have to ask? The trippy end sequence and Space Baby.
5) Goodfellas – if only for the 3 minute uncut shot walking into the restaurant.
6) The Ten Commandments – Red Sea in 3D
7) A Clockwork Orange – because it’s just not trippy enough.
8 ) The Phatom Menace – really… can it make it any worse?
9) Titanic – …hmmm.
10) Jaws – no wait… didn’t they already… never mind.